Arkansas Divorce Guide

Do It Yourself Divorce in Arkansas

Determine residency

In order to file for divorce in this state, you must meet residency DIY Divorcerequirements. A spouse must be a resident of the state of Arkansas for at least 60 days prior to filing for the divorce. You must file your completed forms in the county where you live, often at the county Clerk of the Court’s office. You also and must wait a minimum of three months before the divorce is final.

Select from the State’s grounds for divorce

You must cite grounds (reasons or causes) why your marriage should be dissolved. Those grounds include:

  • Have lived separate and apart continuously for at least one hundred eighty days prior to the filing, or 365 days if there are minor children from the marriage (recognized as no-fault)
  • The other spouse has committed adultery
  • The other spouse has committed a felony and has been sentenced to death or imprisonment at hard labor
  • The other spouse has abandoned the marital home for a period of one year and constantly refuses to return
  • The other spouse has physically or sexually abused the spouse seeking the divorce or a child of one of the spouses
  • The spouses have been living separate and apart continuously without reconciliation for a period of two years
  • The spouses have been living separate and apart continuously without reconciliation for a period of one year from the date the judgment of separation from bed and board (legal separation) was signed
You can base a divorce on separation

You may choose this ground simply by living apart from your spouse for 18 months without any cohabitation  if you have no children, or one year if you do. Any cohabitation resets the 18 month clock back to zero.

Forms you will need if you have no children from the marriage

If you select an Arkansas divorce without children, you are selecting the following forms:

  • Affidavit of Corroborating WitnessDIY Divorce
  • Answer to Complaint for Divorce
  • Complaint for Divorce and Verification
  • Decree of Divorce
  • Domestic Relations Cover Sheet
  • Entry of Appearance and Waiver of Service of Summons
  • Property Settlement Agreement
A divorce with children, add:
  • Affidavit of Financial Means
Our best advice is to get a package of forms (like married with kids, without kids, with assets, without assets, etc.) because they come with instructions. See Divorce Forms in the tab above or search for forms that fit your situation.
With your forms filled out correctly…
  1. Gather your forms together. Make at least 2 copies of all forms. Separate them so you have one original set, and two sets that are copies. Leave one set copy at home. Take the original and copy to the clerk’s office or the circuit court in the county where you live. Bring your check book
  2. The clerk of the court will accept and process your Complaint and will take your payment for court fees. As of this writing, it is $165.00. After filing, the court will issue a temporary restraining order against both parties, preventing them from wasting, dissipating or spending funds or assets
  3. Your spouse must be notified, or served. You cannot do this yourself. If your spouse is cooperative, you can get him or her to sign and have notarized Entry of Appearance and Waiver of Service of Summons. Look for it in your package of forms or find it here. If you are not on good terms with your spouse, you must have him or her served. The clerk will guide you on the process (you complete the form, a deputy from the Sheriff’s office picks up the summons, and delivers it to your spouse). Service by registered or certified mail is also available
  4. The court will schedule a hearing and notify each of you. You must attend, but your spouse may opt out. To prepare for the hearing, bring 3 copies of the Divorce Decree (see your package and instructions) and a person who can testify to your residency and the breakup of the marriage. The judge may sign the divorce decree at that meeting, or notify you by mail that you are divorced.

Ready to move on? Divorce online.

Share this page with friends on social media

Site AdminArkansas Divorce Guide

Leave a Reply