Oregon Divorce Guide

Child Support

In Oregon, the Department of Human Child supportServices oversees the child support program. Oregon is one of the states that uses the income shares model of support as outlined in state statutes. Oregon child support is figured on gross income. The court adds the two parents’ incomes together and applies that sum to the statute’s formula. If your income is more than your spouse’s, you will pay a higher percentage toward the overall sum. Need an example?

Let’s say you make $6,000 per month and your spouse earns $4,000, and the court determines via the guidelines that state law requires you together pay $1,000 per month. Your share will be $600 and your spouse’s $400 per month. Either parent may be ordered to pay child support, based on the following factors:

  • the ability of each parent to borrow
  • the parent’s earnings history
  • the reasonable necessities of each parent
  • the physical, emotional, and educational needs of the child
  • the relative financial means of the parents, including their income, resources, and property
  • the physical, emotional, and educational needs of the child
  • the relative financial means of the parents, including their income, resources, and property
  • the potential earnings of the parents
  • the needs of any other dependents of a parent
  • The payor(s) may be required to pay through the clerk of the court or by wage withholding. Every child support award must contain a provision for the payment of insurance covered and uncovered medical expenses
  • The court may hold a hearing to decide the custody issue prior to any other issues. When appropriate, the court will recognize the value of close contact with both parents and encourage joint parental custody and joint responsibility for the welfare of the children
  • The court may at any time require an accounting from the custodial parent with reference to the use of the money received as child support. The court is not required to order support for any minor child who has become self-supporting, emancipated or married, or who has ceased to attend school after becoming 18 years of age

Save yourself the hassle by downloading divorce forms here

Oregon laws provide that in cases where a marriage annulment, and there are children of the marriage, that those children be afforded the same rights, protections and parental financial support, including that the children are not considered illegitimate offspring of the parents, that other children of the state receive.

If a marriage separation has been granted, the court may make such further orders for the support and maintenance of either spouse and for the support, maintenance, and education of minor children, by either spouse, or out of the property of either spouse, as the court deemed appropriate.

An adult child receiving financial support for college costs

The court may order either or both parents to provide child support of an unmarried child, between the ages of 18 and 21, who is a student regularly attending school, community college, college or university, or regularly attending a course of professional or technical training designed to fit the child for gainful employment. The child must be enrolled in an educational course load of at least one-half that determined by the educational facility to constitute ‘full-time’ enrollment.

A child for whom this educational child support has been ordered:

  • Must maintain the equivalent of a C average or better
  • Shall notify a parent paying support when the child ceases to be a child attending school
  • Shall submit all information necessary to establish eligibility to receive support, including grades earned and the courses in which the child is enrolled
If there is a chance your Ex will try to manipulate you or the kids with the visitation schedule, put an on-line Parenting Plan in place. Nothing stops the game-playing like a schedule in black and white. Simply tell your Ex that in order for the schedule to be changed, it must be discussed and agreed to; otherwise it is not changing.

If the child fails to comply with any of these requirements, the educational child support will cease.

Termination of Child Support and paying College Support – a court may order a parent to pay support for a child regularly attending post-secondary education to age 21. [O.S. § 107.108]

[Oregon Statutes – Volume 2 – Sections: 107.105, 107.106, 107.820]

Share this page with friends on social media

Site AdminOregon Divorce Guide

Leave a Reply